Similar to what Kurt is holding below. We followed an iterative process relying heavily on user testing and feed back. 

Instead of redesigning the tools, which we did not believe to be the root of the problem, we chose to design an aid to help the gardener. 

We began by exploring the different working positions.

Taking this into consideration we move to ideation

Next we built and tested prototypes.

We conducted surveys after user testing to gauge the results.

After analyzing the results we created a second prototype.

Considering

  • Footprint of the brace to protect plants in garden

  • User's working positions

  • Reachability

  • Comfort in the hand

  • Working conditions

In groups of 4 we were charged with choosing a garden tool based on a problem and redesign it to remedy that issue. We chose handheld garden tools such as a small shovel. 

Grown

Garden Aid